Sunday, January 2, 2022

Reality against Non-Reality plays out in "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

    My thoughts on "Dont Look Up" which I watched last night on Netflix:

    "Don't Look Up" satirizes the political climate that has been playing out for the last decade or so but has become really intense in the last few years. And it's not the Republican vs Democrat or left and right divide but reality vs non-reality.

     Meryl Streep plays the President. Her character is somewhat Trumpian: self absorbed and played to the masses even though she was an unethical slime trying to get re-elected. (It didn't hit me til I was writing this that that may be why she had that awful hair style and wore that cap at her rallies)

     Leonardo Dicaprio and Jennifer Lawrence were her nemesis. They were reality to Streep's non-reality. Without giving up too much of the movie for those who have not seen it yet...just think of the political climate we have faced in the last couple years on the issues of the pandemic: The facts are there. But the deniers and anti-vaxxers push an agenda where reality does not matter. They would be crying "Don't Look Up" and essentially deny any and all facts and evidence.

     Some interviews I saw before I saw the movie mentioned climate change as a metaphor and I think it could be. Climate change deniers would be the "Don't Look Up" crowd even though reality is clear. And it wasn't that many years ago that I was one of them.

     There are other factions of the battles which are interesting but if I reveal too much I would spoil some of the events for those who have not seen it yet. 
     In the end, in spite of all of our political agendas reality will win. Democrat or Republican, right wing or left wing.....will mean nothing.